Thursday, November 29, 2007

Tom Ka Gai (chicken and galangal soup)


This, like most Thai soups is cleansing, crisp and fresh. The harmony that these ingredients inspire is balanced and pure.

Ingredients:

x3 cups of chicken stock
Spoon of galangal - maybe more
x2 sticks of lemon grass
A few kaffir lime leaves
Handful of fresh coriander
Chicken - your choice of piece
Mushrooms (I used some dried Shitake and a few fresh garden variety)
x1 cup coconut milk
Squeeze of lime
A few drops of fish sauce
Half a spoon of sugar
x2 chili's
Small handful of bean sprouts (optional)

In a small saucepan, toss lemon grass, galangal, half the chopped coriander, stock, lime leaves and half the chillies. Bring to the boil and cook for 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and strain, discard solids. Pour the strained liquid back into the saucepan and simmer. Add chicken (either thinly sliced or shredded) and the mushrooms. Let cook for a few minutes or until chicken is cooked (I had pre-boiled the chicken so i just shredded it in). Add bean sprouts and some finely chopped lemon grass.


Take off heat and when cooled slightly stir in coconut milk, fish sauce, chopped coriander and squeeze of lime and add remaining chilies. Serve hot and garnish with chilies. Yum!




No comments:

What is this?

This is my little spot where I like to keep track of the recipes I love and have conquered. Sometimes it won’t change, and at other times I’ll be posting new recipes when they arise.

It's really just a recipe book that I know I won’t lose amidst papers and books...For me, for family and friends, for no one in particular. Read it; cook the recipes if you want. Enjoy!

Simple food doesn't have to be tasteless!