Tuesday, September 11, 2007

My quest to find the perfect Tom Yum recipe



I have been searching for some time now to find and make the perfect Tom Yum Goong. After many pastes, tins and other convenient shop bought products, i find myself unsatisfied. When i finally managed to seek out all the right ingredients to make it from scratch, I still find that something is missing.


These are the basics:

Ingredients
4 cups of water
2 stalks fresh lemon grass, trim off the very end of the root and smash with the side of a cleaver of chef's knife; cut into 1 inch pieces; or 2 tsp dried
3 slices fresh galangal root(smashed) or 2 tsp dried
3 fresh kaffir lime leave or 4 dried
1 Tbsp. tamarind paste, with or without seeds
1 Tbsp. fish sauce, Golden Boy preferred
Handful of prawns, medium to large size, shelled and de-veined
12 fresh Thai chilies
1/2 small white onion, sliced (optional)
2 Tbsp. roasted chili paste (nam prik pao)
Handful of shitake mushrooms, or any other mushrooms you can find
2 small ripe tomatoes, cut into wedges
1 small lime, squeezed
handful of coriander leaves, half for cooking, half for garnish

My search will continue, and this recipe will hopefully soon be updated.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Add coconut - just a dash

What is this?

This is my little spot where I like to keep track of the recipes I love and have conquered. Sometimes it won’t change, and at other times I’ll be posting new recipes when they arise.

It's really just a recipe book that I know I won’t lose amidst papers and books...For me, for family and friends, for no one in particular. Read it; cook the recipes if you want. Enjoy!

Simple food doesn't have to be tasteless!